Strength in the River: Lessons in Hope from Suffering Saints of the Bible
|Article number:||9781934952269, C15, C01, SD14|
Strength in the River
Author: Steve Swartz
A biblical theology of suffering revealed through the lives of those who experienced and taught about suffering in the Scriptures.
–––––––––– Table of Contents ––––––––––
- A River of Tears: When the Pain Will Not Stop
- Jeremiah Says, “Accept That God’s Sovereignty is Bigger Than You Think”
- James Says, “Solving the Problem is Not the Point”
- Jesus Says, “Submit Willingly to the Plan of God”
- Abraham Says, “Trust in the Integrity of God”
- Ruth Says, “Let Your Godly Character Shine Through”
- Paul Says, “Find God’s Power in Your Weakness”
- David Says, “Plead With and Praise the Lord”
- Peter Says, “Obey the Lord in the Midst of Sorrow”
- Elijah Says, “Be Grateful for God’s Tender Care”
- Job Says, “God is the Source of Lasting Comfort”
- David Says, “Use Your Suffering for Self-Examination”
- Eve Says, “Humbly Forgive Those Who Have Caused Sorrow”
- Heman Says, “Be Confident in the Lord’s Presence in the Darkness”
- Joseph Says, “Expect That God’s Wisdom Will Amaze You”
- Hannah Says, “Give Glory to God for His Gracious Response”
Appendix: 15 Days of Strength
"Strength in the River is refreshingly biblical and God-centered, while also offering pastoral comfort and strength. It is full of wisdom and practical advice."
—Diana Lynn Severance, Director of the Dunham Bible Museum at Houston Baptist University, and author of several books, including Feminine Threads: Women in the Tapestry of Christian History, and Her-Story: 366 Devotions from 21 Centuries of the Christian Church.
"The great English preacher of the nineteenth century, Charles Spurgeon, wrote: “I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the Rock of Ages.” Can you do that when you are experiencing God’s severe providence? This book will help you learn!"
—John D. Street, Professor and Chair of the Master of Arts in Biblical Counseling at The Master’s University, member of the Board of Directors for the Association of Certified Biblical Counselors, author of Men Counseling Men.
Paperback. 208 pp.