Assured: Discover Grace, Let Go of Guilt, and Rest in Your Salvation
|9780801093227, j19, SD50
Author: Greg Gilbert
Despite our professions of belief, our baptisms, and our membership in the church, many of us secretly wonder, Am I truly saved? We worry that our love for Jesus isn't fervent enough (or isn't as fervent as someone else's). We worry that our faith isn't strong enough. We struggle through the continuing presence of sin in our lives. All this steals the joy of our salvation and can lead us into a life characterized by legalism, perfectionism, and works righteousness--the very life Jesus freed us from at the cross!
But Greg Gilbert has a message for the anxious believer--be assured. Assured that your salvation experience was real. Assured that your sins--past, present, and future--are forgiven. Assured that everyone stumbles. Assured that Jesus is not your judge but your advocate. With deep compassion, Gilbert comforts readers, encouraging them to release their guilt, shame, and anxiety to rejoice in and follow hard after the One who set them free.
–––––––––– Table of Contents ––––––––––
- The Problem of Assurance
- The Driving Sources of Assurance: The Gospel of Jesus Christ
- The Driving Sources of Assurance: The Promises of God
- The Supernatural Source of Assurance: The Witness of the Spirit
- The Undermining of Assurance: The Lies We Believe
- The Confirming Source of Assurance: The Fruits of Obedience
- Misusing a Good Tool: Mistakes We Make in Considering Our Good Works
- What about Besetting Sins?
- Striving for Assurance